1 – (4-5 lb) whole chicken
3 mandarin oranges, halved
2 yellow onions, quartered
1 tbsp rosemary, minced
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black Pepper
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Peel and cut garlic into quarters. Place chicken on a cutting board. Tuck wings under chicken. Tie drumsticks together.
- Cut lemon and (1) mandarin in half; gently squeeze juices over chicken and inside the cavity. Place squeezed fruits inside the chicken cavity.
- In a small bowl mix together rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, black pepper and kosher salt. Rub chicken all over with olive oil until well coated. Sprinkle on the rub mixture and rub until well coated.
- Place chicken into a roasting pan or large cast iron skillet. Tuck in quartered yellow onions and mandarins around the sides.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 2 to 2-1/2 hours, sprinkling green onions over vegetables during the last 20 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from the oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Discard herbs. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve gravy with chicken and vegetables.